Thursday, October 20, 2005

Podcasts

The other day (or rather the other week) I fired up my itunes program and for what seemed like the millionth time, the computer asked me to update my itunes software...........FINE!
After all was said and done, I notice this new menu..Podcast...what is that?

It seemed like a bunch of different internet radio shows that I could listen to on my own time without commercials. Cool!

So what has attracted me interest in the podcast world?

1. NPR's Story of the Day - this is a collection of stories about what many would think of as ordinary people and kind of gives a little insight about them.

2. Two Minute Photoshop Tricks : This is a great little podcast that allows you to tackle photoshop, one element at a time. I have been using Photoshop since about 2000 and I never new that CTRL + SHIFT + O opened a file brower menu where you could rename files in batches or add on copyright details to them.

3. Digital Photograph Tips From the Top Floor : I am not sure what i think about this yet. I may go back and listen to quiet a few of them when I have time to play with my camera (or when I get a new Digital Camera...hint, hint see Wish List ). There are alot of interviews with famous photographers. Let you know more about this later.

4. Mondays: What Sunday Threw up This is kind of has a Geek "Daily Show" feel to it. They talk about weird stuff you can buy off the internet (some of it you may actualyl find useful)and segments like "You are Dumber Than me" (one episode described a crack addict pulled over by a cop and his drug sniffing dog and how the addict tried to distract the dog by throwing dog treats out the window). But they have on a few occasions had to made public apologies for offending one group or another, so if you are easily offended I would not listen.

5. MuggleNet We all have dirty secrets...well I like Harry Potter and I have no problem listening to this 16 year old and 20 year old discuss HP. It is actually more insightful than you would think and they try to have intellegent answers to everyone's questions.

6.Purina Well since Purina is the greatest Pet food company, how could their podcast be any bad? This is acually taken from a radio show segment in St. Louis (Purina's headquarters) where they have a vet who answers questions and provides explainations for those ever present mysteries, like ...why do cats purr? I have actually learned a few things from him.

7. Newsweek on the Air This is a weekly program about various highlights in the news. Hard to say much about it, but if you are a CNN or MSNBC watching type of person you will probably enjoy this. I have enjoyed some of their stories (esecially about the Bird Flu)

8. Phone Taps, Romeo's Celebrity Crank Calls, Z100 Interviews, Adventures of Greg T the Frat Boy I grew up listening to NYC's Z100. And I just about flipped when I saw this on itunes. Nothing brings back more memories of the tri-state area then a pissed off Brooklyn, Italian, man who is being lead on by a loved one over the radio. Great stuff.

9. Science Friday Just because I don't have class doesn't mean I am not interested in learning a little science. The dog flu was especially interesting (and I hope will be helpful on my boards).

10. SCRAPcast I originally thought, how can you talk about scrapbooking with no visuals? Well this lady does a fantastic job about talking about her own experiences or describing projects. I learned a ton on how to organize my scrapstuff. One of my favorites.

11. Street Stories Everyone has an interesting story to tell and this cast tells it. Quite inspiring.

12. Genealogy Guys Here is my other secret...I am a genealogy buff. I love family history. I so wish this podcast aired more than once a week, I have learned a ton just from the few I have listened to. They talk about everything genealogy from DNA genealogy to Genealogy confrences. And if you have questions, they will try take them into consideration for future shows.

13. Who Said Are you a literature buff? Well test your knowledge. This caster will read an excerp from a book or poem and you have to think of who said it. She reveals the answer on the next pod cast.

Others - These are some new ones that I haven't really checked out yet but I am working on it.

Crafty Chica
Craft Pod

Enjoy!