Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tot School - Getting back into the groove 25 months

Tot School


Now that we are finally starting to settle into our new house we have started getting back into tot school (or rather S found the box of tot school supplies and insist on getting into it each day).  I found by doing a little tot school each day he is much less likely to get into "2 year old trouble mode".

To our surprise we found out that he knew his whole alphabet and while we were moving we made sure to keep out his alphabet puzzle from Lauri Toys Primer Pack.   I also printed out the Tot Time Notebook, which he just LOVES.  At first he would just keep turning all the pages and saying the letters.  Then he started saying the names of the icons on each page.  Now he is starting to trace the letters while he says them.  I don't know if I can keep up with his kid sometimes.

Now onto numbers!  As usual I underestimated his knowledge.  I have always counted things with him but I didn't think he was actually picking it up.  Now he can count to twenty as I learned when he picked all the blueberries out of his cereal and laid them on the table and counted them as he fed them to the dog.

So anyway, not alot of pictures this week but we are going to try a little more structure in the coming weeks.  This week we did do a few Valentine's worksheets (the ones that have the dots on them).  But he also had to make some Valentines for this little friends at the Y.  So here is what we did.

Supplies: Finger paints, Ikea paint brush, vanilla paper, multi-colored construction paper, and of course an old t-shirt for painting.

I put some dabs of paints on a paper plate and let S go to town.  He had a blast and got to practice using his favorite word "More".  






After we let the sheet dry I folded the paper and cut it into 8 hearts.

Then I let S use his handy dandy glue stick to glue all the hearts onto the construction paper.



Finally I tapes on a little dove chocolate into the middle (this had to be repeated several times since S took the chocolates off and ate them the first time around and the second time around I saw that the cat had eaten half the chocolate heart).


It is nothing fancy but it was a fun project for S!


Next week we are going to celebrate Dental Health Month!  I have some fun handout that I made and will post them on next week's tot school blog.

No comments: