Low fat Cranberry Orange Muffins
This week's learning lessons:
Go over the names of all the ingredients
Discuss textures and colors of all ingredients
Discuss how the measuring cups are different sizes
Show how to mix with a whisk
Practice counting with muffin tins
How to gently crack and egg
Show what happens when you mix sugar and butter
2 cups, plus 1 tbsp of unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plus 1 tbsp of sugar
4 tbsp of unsalted butter (softened)
2 large eggs
1tsp of grated zest from orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain low fat yogurt
1 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
2/3 cup orange juice
2. Help your toddler measure out and combine all purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Then whisk together and set aside.
3. Put additional 3/4 cup of sugar and soften butter into a mixing bowl. Mix for about 4 minutes. Have toddler help you scrap down the sides of the bowl if needed.
(oops a mess...clean up!)
4. Have toddler add 1 egg at a time to the mixing bowl. Mix well between each egg addition.
5. While the mixture is at a low speed add in a third of the flour mixture followed by a third of the yogurt mixture. Repeat until all of the flour mixture and yogurt are mixed in. Be careful not to over mix.
6. Put cranberries and orange juice in a microwave safe bowl and cover with saran wrap. Put in microwave for 1 minute and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes. Then strain the cranberries and discard the juice.
7. Combine 1 cup plus 1 tsp of sugar with 2 tsp of grated orange zest.
8. Combine cranberries and remaining 1 tbsp of flour and fold into the batter.
9. Use an ice cream scoop to divide batter into each muffin cup. Back for 25-30 minutes.
10. Official toddler taste test.